On December 12, 1884, the Bridgeport Masonic Lodge was granted a charter by the Grand Lodge of Texas. The twenty-seven charter members consisted primarily of local coal miners, ranchers, and businessmen. The group met in a tin building on the old Town Square until about 1900, when a second building was completed. A two-story brick building was purchased from Dr. K. L. Buckner in 1925. From its beginning the lodge has been active in community affairs, with its membership providing civic leadership and support for local public schools.