Home Projects At The Museum History Of The Museum Wise County Historical Society Wise County Historical Commission Current Exhibits Upcoming Events County Historical Sites Gift Store Membership and Support Frequently Asked Questions Related Links Contact Us Photo Gallery
Wise County Messenger
115 South Trinity, Decatur TX

     Started by William Forster in 1880, the "Messenger" was published in Paradise (10 miles southwest) and Alvord (11 miles northwest) before a permanent move to Decatur in 1885. Early editions included poems, love stories, and lists of strayed animals and mail at the dead letter office. N. W. and H. A. Halcomb became the owners in 1894. Two of their staff members, Marvin Smith and R. E. "Dick" Collins, bought the paper in 1907. A correspondent during the Spanish-American War, Collins worked on the staff for 40 years. Mergers with Decatur papers include the "Post" (1890), "News" (1935), and "News Review" (1940). (1981)